The Kunsthalle zu Kiel is a unique institution for Schleswig-Holstein and furthermore with a special location on the Kiel Fjord.
It is an institute of the Christian Albrechts University Kiel and is also home to the Schleswig-Holsteinischer Kunstverein that was founded in 1843. The collection is characterized, among other things, by its focus on 19th century art, expressionism and international contemporary art. The Kunsthalle offers a lively exhibition activity. At its current location, the museum owes itself to the legacy of Charlotte Hegewisch, known as Lotte Hegewisch (Kiel, 1822-1903). The house also houses the Antiquities Collection under its own management.
The Kunsthalle is elevated above the fjord in the castle garden. In their immediate vicinity, the Zoological Museum and the House of the Medical History Collection, as further university museums, are grouped around the castle gardens. Outdoor sculptures, f.e. by Per Kirkeby, extend the exhibition space of the Kunsthalle right into the castle garden.
The Kunsthalle and Kiel University
The Kunsthalle has been an independent institution of Kiel University (CAU) since 1971. Before this, the respective chair for Art History at Kiel university was the director of the gallery.
The gallery regularly offers students exercises in the presence of original art works as part of university teaching, as well as insights into the gallery’s fields of work. Cooperation projects, conferences and academic exchange are part of our lively cooperation with the university. In addition to the Kunsthalle, other museums and collections are affiliated to Kiel University.
Various architects in succession have worked on the design of the building. The initial design was made by Georg Thür, which was then significantly developed by Georg Lohr. The Kunsthalle on Düsternbrooker Weg opened in 1909. The house was badly damaged during the Second World War and was not open to the public again until 1958. Some thirty years later, the architect Diethelm Hoffmann designed an extension which, since 1986, has provided space for further exhibition areas, educational programmes and a specialised library. Since 2012, a new entrance area designed by the architects Sunder-Plassmann has offered the Kunsthalle a view out onto Firth of Kiel. August Gaul’s trademark bison survived the destruction of the war and stand once again in front of the gallery today.